Unlike any other time of year, the holiday season is one full of family and friends gathering ‘round a warm fire as the temperature drops outside.
The crackle of the fire creates an unmatched ambiance and warmth that often becomes the centerpiece for your get-togethers, and serves as a backdrop to cherished memories for years to come.
But the distraction of the holidays can lead to unsafe fireplace practices. To help, we’ve developed a list of safety tips to keep in mind this holiday season to ensure you and your guests’ safety.
- Hosting guests can be a highlight of the holiday season. But keep in mind that your guests might have little ones and pets enamored with the flickering fire. Set up a safety gate to keep children and pets away from the potentially dangerous fire, or simply choose not to have a fire.
- Keep your Christmas tree at least three feet from the fireplace to avoid any sparks igniting the tree. Water your tree regularly to make sure that it doesn’t dry out and become a flammable hazard.
- Never place presents near the fire, whether wrapped or unwrapped.
- After presents are opened, don’t burn the wrapping paper in the fire. The paper, and the print on it, can release toxic fumes dangerous to you, your family, and guests.
- If you celebrate the holidays with stockings draped over the mantle, remove them before lighting a fire.
- Keep holiday decorations away from the fireplace and off the mantle, including any fabric, cardboard, or greenery. Decorations can often easily start on fire.
Follow these safety tips and you’re sure to have a joyous and safe holiday season.
At MCP Chimney and Masonry, we wish you the happiest of holidays. We will continue to work in 2018 to help keep your fireplace and chimney operating safely and efficiently, and encourage you to have your fireplace and chimney thoroughly cleaned and inspected every year.
For more information about our services, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.