For many homeowners, a chimney cleaning service is called upon once a year for an annual cleaning and inspection. As a result, it’s no surprise that many homeowners simply don’t know the right questions to ask when hiring a chimney cleaning expert.
Like any service provided to homeowners, a chimney cleaning service should be vetted to ensure you’re getting the best result — in this case, a clean and sound chimney that will help keep your family warm and safe.
By asking the right questions, you’re certain to get the right chimney cleaning expert to do the job. Ask these questions to make sure you hire the right company to complete your chimney services:
- How long have you been in business? Experience goes a long way when it comes to sweeping chimneys. Fireplaces and chimneys are complex systems and an experienced chimney cleaning expert will know what to look for and how to properly clean and diagnose any potential dangers lurking in your system.
- How will you clean my chimney? Professional chimney cleaning companies will have a detailed, step-by-step process for cleaning and inspecting chimneys. They also will have processes in place to protect your living spaces from any debris strewn about by the cleaning.
- Do you inspect the chimney as part of a cleaning? An inspection coupled with a thorough chimney cleaning is the best way to ensure your entire system is operating safely and efficiently. An inspection forewarns homeowners of any safety issues, like chimney blockages or water leaks. A chimney cleaning company should absolutely offer a chimney inspection as part of its cleaning process.
- How often should my chimney be swept? Your chimney and flue should be cleaned and inspected a minimum of once a year, even if you don’t use it often. Chimney cleaning will rid the system of creosote, a dangerous by-product of burning that adheres to the inside of the chimney and can catch on fire in intense heat, spreading throughout your home. Over time, creosote thickens, increasing risk, and requiring removal by a chimney cleaning expert.
- Do you have references? A proud chimney cleaning company will be more than happy to share customer testimonials and references. Be wary of companies that claim to have no references. Also, research the company on the Internet or visit resources like the Better Business Bureau or Angie’s List.
With these questions, you’re well-armed to find the Damascus chimney cleaning service that’s best for you. At MCP Chimney and Masonry, we can answer all of these questions and more. For more information about our services, contact us today.